I've rounded up a few of my favorite competition bits from the past few weeks. I LOVE the Olympics, and watched them, as always, with great delight. Here are more articles with relation to them, in no particular order:
1. Tyler Cowen on why India has so few Olympic medals. Do read the comments section.
2. New York Times on the evolution of medal-ing in the world. Who dominated the medal count will surprise you, with the passage of time.
3. PBS Frontline did an amazing profile on Kenyan athlete Lornah Kiplagat, who took her winnings back to start a running school for women in Kenya. AMAZING story.
4. Forbes Magazine does a great job profiling Olympians turned into entrepreneurs. My favorite is Mary Mazzio, a 1992 Olympian who missed the Bronze by a minimal mark; but went on to an amazing filmmaking career.
5. The Private Sector Development (PSD) blog from the World Bank, about Mongolia winning its second gold medal. Another amazing story!